Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD and weird SATA HDD

Today I went at a friend's to help her set up a new PC in a dual boot configuration (Windows XP, which was already installed, and Kubuntu 8.04).

XP came preinstalled so I burned a CD with Kubuntu 8.04 and booted from it... just to find out that there was no normal way of detecting the HDD as device. Indeed,

sudo fdisk -l

showed nothing at all. Also, in dmesg there were some errors regarding an ATA port error.

So I booted back in XP and saw the HDD model was a HD502IJ Samsung on SATA that just might pose boot problems (not being detected).

I managed to have the HDD detected only by specifying at the boot prompt the option

all_generic_ide

After this, the HDD was visible, its partitions were visible and I could operate on it normally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment